Sunday, June 23, 2013

SAFIRE BLUES


Greeting Hairballs,

I’ve been neglecting this lately.  The hockey playoffs will end this week and I’ll be back in form.

Don’t know if I’m being influenced by WhiskySteps, which isn’t a bad thing, or channeling someone from down Louisiana way.  Dreamed about a little girl with long, stringy blonde hair, in a sack dress and bare feet running up onto a porch.  When I woke, I wrote this.  I’ve already run it by a few of you so I apologize for the repeat.

Safire Blues©

         FMHorner

Grandpa’s been on the porch all day
sittin’ on the steps playin’ that old sax
says he’s got the safire blues

that’s when the grief gets deep inside
and squeezes so tight you want to die
but you don’t, you just keep on hurtin’

someone shot Uncle Rob last night,
he was drunk, bustin’ up stuff and makin’ a terrible racket
but weren’t doin’ no harm to people

I got the sadness too, but don’t play no horn,
Grandma says we can’t cry so’s anyone can see
so we hold each other and rock

back and forth, back and forth

Hairballs,
f




2 comments:

Susan Adger said...

Beautiful. But soooo sad.

SnazzyCat said...

Loving this....