Monday, February 3, 2014

OMG OF THE WEEK


Greetings Hairballers,

I’m someone known for sarcasm, but today I seem to be channeling my inner Alice Hoffman.

Last night I had an OMG moment when I heard Renee Fleming sing the Star Spangled Banner.  I cried and so did some of those tough footballers.

Ms. Fleming sung this as it was written--a tone poem.

Like most, I’ve heard it thousands of times and, for me, it has only ever said one thing--game on.

We’ve listened to marching bands pound it out and celebrity singers straining for the high notes and then yelled play ball or go groundhogs--whatever.

Last evening, for the first time in my life, I understood the emotions Francis Scott Key felt when he wrote his poem.  Yes, it started as a poem.  Frank, as I now call him, didn’t have a guitar, keyboard or harpsichord with him and he probably didn’t think, “I feel a song coming on.”

Here’s the link to YouTube.  If you didn’t hear it, treat yourself to a few minutes.  Well worth the time and may change the way you view the Star Spangled Banner forever.



Hairballs, I have Goosebumps.

f






No comments: