Sunday, February 9, 2014

The Accidental Poet


Greetings Hairballers,

Just finished reading a biography of the great Molly Ivins. No, I’m not that arrogant to compare myself to her.  Ivins, like Babe Ruth, was one of a kind and we will never see the likes of either again.  She was and is one of my heroes.  I keep her picture over my desk for inspiration--along with Hunter Thompson, Fran Lebowitz, Dorothy Parker, Alfred E. Neuman and others.

Every comedian and writer around is doing the Olympics--good, bad and hysterical.  I’ll leave it to them.  Instead, I’ve turned to a bit of introspection.  It won’t happen often.

Here we go…

The Accidental Poet©

         FMHorner

Quite by accident, it happened,
this poetry pouring forth
on my way to writing
the great American novel,
which would win a Pulitzer
or Noble prize,
or at least be published
by someone other than me

those crazy gonzo verses
kept coming
perhaps not so much stanzas
but rants and hairballs
my take on what you did,
what was done to you,
what I saw and thought,
or what was done to me

down the rabbit hole I slid
with clichés and sarcastic wit
my companions in crime,
maybe someday
I’ll peek out and see my shadow,
then again, maybe not
I like it down here

I’m a sprinter,
not a marathon runner
so I’ll keep spitting them out
one hairball at a time
as long as it’s still fun
and we all keep laughing,
sighing, gasping or crying

I am the Hairballer

f






1 comment:

Unknown said...

Homage to the Hairballer!