Friday, June 20, 2014

The Lollipop


Greeting Hairballers,

A little something on life’s injustices and how the universe puts in the fix if we are patient and allow it to happen.

The Lollipop©

         FMHorner

Down at the church fair
Mr. Milfred had set up a stand
where you threw baseballs
at empty beer cans.

Guess he drank the beer
for religious purposes,
being that he was so holy and all.
Right!

If you knocked down all ten,
you won first prize, a stuffed bear,
if you got only three
he’d give you a lollipop.

Well, I sure wanted that bear
‘cept I never was good a throwing baseballs,
still I plunked down my 50 cents,
straightened up and took aim--

those balls weren’t goin’ anywhere near those cans,
but I did manage three
and won me a big orange lollipop,
biggest one I’d ever seen.

Then Aunt Lucille took it from me
and gave it to Mary Sue
‘cause she had her face all screwed up
and was startin’ to bawl.

I hope she chokes on the thing,
but only after it gets stuck
on Aunt Lucille’s fancy dress
and ruins it.

Fast-forward to the future, where life has a way of settling scores if we’re willing to be patient and wait--

Mary Sue now weighs between 400 and a ton, and is still wringing her hands and complaining.

The narrator pitches for the Yankees.

Motivation comes in many guises. 


Hairballs,
F


The Hairball Gazette is an independent blog not affiliated with any group or organization.



2 comments:

Susan Adger said...

Warms the cockles of my heart. Thanks...

SnazzyCat said...

As always, wonderful and inspired!