Sunday, January 6, 2013

High School Daze

Greetings Hairballers,


During the last meeting of my former writing group, Gordon the Dull-Yet Tactless informed everyone, upon hearing my offering, that he wrote that sort of thing when he was in high school.  What a helpful critique!

Under hockey rules, Gordon would have gotten an unsportsmanlike penalty.  I would have gotten tossed for hitting him over the head with my stick.  So is the pen mightier than the sword but not the stick?

Don’t know where I’ll get my inspiration now.  Guess I’ll always have Congress.
How much inspiration can I take?

To commemorate this little event, I’ve pulled out my inner sophomore.  Here goes.  Oh, and I’ve tossed four quarters in the carping cup for making it an issue.

High School Daze©

         FMHORNER

Memories of teenage years
can make me smile or cringe
I for one am glad they came
and went and will not return again

senior proms and bee hive hair
and shoes that matched my skirt
*slips that kept sliding down
because I’m short and had to rolled them up

watching American Bandstand,
the required activity of the day,
and lamenting that I wasn’t like
Annette—my young life in ruins

‘til Friday night dances at the CYO,
they had the best rock n’ roll in town,
and smoking cigarettes in the girls,
where Father Alfred dare not go

raging hormones, bad hair days
and constant attention to my clothes
kept me occupied and
writing free

except for home work and
those thank you notes my Mother insisted
that I compose or
be thought a barbaric troll

         (true story):

Dear Aunt Jeanne,

Thank you for the sweetshirt (yes, that’s how I spelled it).  I like it a lot and it’s very nice.

Thank you,
Your niece, Ferne

P.S.  the cat threw up on it and Mom doesn’t know if she can get the vomit out.

I knew it all back then
everyone else was wrong
too young to realize wisdom comes
with age and exposure to the world

with MAD and SEVENTEEN my bibles,
I studied hard and hung on every word
shallow was time consuming-work
but with dedication came success

until the 60s arrived and changed all that
“hell no, we won’t go…”
not now, that’s for another time

-------

*do they still make slips?  does anyone own one?

Hairballs to it all.  Stay curious.



1 comment:

Susan Adger said...

The only slip I still have is one I got in high school - can't believe how small my waist was back then! Of course, we had waist cinchers... I can hardly believe it myself!